Journaling is cleansing for the mind and soul, it helps us to identify our thought patterns and even behaviours allowing us to better understand, acknowledge what’s going on internally. It allows us to become more aware of what it is we’re thinking and take action to change the things that no longer serve us. It helps us to create a life that best suits us and live in greater alignment with ourselves.
Putting pen to paper also helps to reduce stress and anxiety by allowing us to express overwhelming emotions and get them out. It offers us a greater sense of clarity and focus in all aspects of our lives.
2022 is here, a new year and the perfect time for a little journalling to plan this new year, this next phase, to acknowledge the past year releasing anything that no longer serves us, finding gratitude for all that we have and thinking about what we’d like this next year to be.
Below we’re put together a few prompts to get you started on your journaling journey. We mention goals but this doesn’t have to have anything to do with starting a business or running a marathon or writing a book (unless that’s your jam then we’re here for that too). We’re here, encouraging you to be too, in the pursuit of living a life of joy. That means the goals like changing negative thought patterns, slowing down, learning to say no, introducing selfcare into your week, going to therapy to work through trauma, leaving partners/jobs/friends that make us unhappy are celebrated just as much as any other ‘achievement’ because it’s those changes that help us to be happier and make a huge, huge difference to our lives and the lives of those around us.
Before you begin. Find a quiet place. Close your eyes, take a deep breathe in, out, in, out. Find your centre. Give yourself the freedom to be truly honest and let it all flow.
Reflect on the year that was.
- What happened this last year for you?
- What challenges did you face?
- What did you accomplish?
- What brought you joy? Can you think of three beautiful moments or experiences from 2021 that made you happy?
- How did you grow, change or what did you learn in 2021?
- What are you grateful for?
Looking forward to 2022.
- What are your hopes for 2022?
- What actionable steps can you take to achieve those hopes or any goals that you have?
- How can you incorporate the things that bring you joy more into your life in 2022?
- What personal attributes would you like to be this year, write this in the present tense. Feel free to go deeper here to acknowledge the scenarios or spaces you would like to embody this and any specifics. (I am calm and patient with my children slowing down to engage and play with them on their level, I am fit and healthy, I eat nourishing foods, exercise regularly and are kind to my mind and body)
We hope these prompts have given you some food for thought and helped you reflect on the year that was and look forward to 2022 with a positive mindset and maybe even some focus on creating the best life for you.